Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lynda's Fancy Favor Box Candy Dispenser


 I had a medicataion dispenser a while back and thought it would make a cute candy dispenser as a smaller version but I wasn't sure how to do it so I sketched and thought about it and with  Valentine's Day approaching, I finally got around to putting it to paper and making it for my DH.  I wanted the box to be not too big and after couple of different trials found the Fancy Favor bag to be the perfect size.  This is the side view with the box filled with Reese' pieces but I think a lighter candy like taffy or something bigger would be better and would not spill out as much- although this was really cute. 
I decorated the top with a topper using a DSP from More Amore. 
You take the fancy favor die, diecut a piece.  One of the middle panel, cut 1/12 inch up from both sides and cut across the center as shown.  If you want to emboss the box or stamp on it, best to do it now.
When you put the box together it will look like this.
You want to make another sheet to reinforce the front flap and the bottom. Cut sae color cardstock 3x 2 5/8" and score a smidgen less than 1 1/2 inches as shown.
It will fit in like this but don't do it yet. 

You need the side mechanism which will make this work. I tried several different methods and I think this is the easiest.  Take a piece of paper 1 at least 3 inches long by at least 1 1/2 inches.  fold it half along the long side. ( this is a scrap I had more like 3x 4) - in the picture the fold is across the top.  Cut a little wedge off the bottom about 1/4 inch and another about 1/4 inch away at the same angle as shown. 
Put the whole thing- fold on top and the bottom taps hanging over as shown and circle punch - this is a 2 1/2 inch circle punch and punch to just beneath the a 1/2 inch mark.
Now you have the mechanism for the door. 
Unfold and cut in 2
Depending on how much you want the drawer to open, you need to make the cut.  I thought about 45 degrees were good.  You score at the dotted line and cut 1/4 inch out so we can tape it down.
Put one of the taps as shown- this is the right side, (left side would be mirror image) put tape on both sides of the tab to tape down to the cover.  If you want a brad, ribbon or some pull mechanism in the front, this is the time to do it.
After you tape the mechanism to the sides and any pull mechanism for the front, I would put the reinforcing panel as shown and tape it down so the inside looks neat and you have a stronger drawer front.
Fold the mechanism in as shown and close the drawer.
As you open the drawer now the mechanism will catch and you have this adorable dispenser!

See mom?  all those years with my nose to the math books did pay off!

Enjoy!

Lynda

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Very cute! Thank you for the detailed instructions.

Sridevi MuraliKrishna said...

Thanks you so much for the tutorial..
It was so explanatory..
It was really fun making the candy dispenser..

Cheers from India..
Sridevi MuraliKrishna

Lynda said...

Hi Lynda,
After an EXTENSIVE gooogle search I found you and this ADORABLE box!!! LOVE it. I think I make one out of old CS before I try one proper. The only Q I have is what did you make the lid out of?? Is it the Lg Scallop Sq Die or something else. Thanks so much for this tute.
Yours in Crafting,
Lynda (yes it MUST have been fate I found you....LOL)!!! ooxx

Lynda said...

Hi Lynda,
After an EXTENSIVE gooogle search I found you and this ADORABLE box!!! LOVE it. I think I make one out of old CS before I try one proper. The only Q I have is what did you make the lid out of?? Is it the Lg Scallop Sq Die or something else. Thanks so much for this tute.
Yours in Crafting,
Lynda (yes it MUST have been fate I found you....LOL)!!! ooxx

~@ngie~ said...

this is awesome.... just what I've been looking for but do you have measurements for the whole thing pleez??? you can email me at angiewhalley@ntlworld.com :) TIA

love n hugz Angie xXx

Michael Sheen said...

Thanks for the well written and interesting article!
best bottom load water dispensers