Friday, September 18, 2009

Sweet Treats with Sliding Door


I am having so much fun with the sweet centers set with the sweet treat cups! One thing I did have issues with were that I hated having to seal in the candy- 'cause if you know my boys, I know the cards are bound to be ripped and found crumpled in the corner of the bedroom someplace with the candy missing. And I can't have that!

So here is the little card with a trap door that lets you get at the candy without messing up the card.
Pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I had this as a make and take at my last party and it was somewhat of a hassel because I was using the circle cutter to cut out the center of the razzleberry cardstock due to the punch not reaching that deep in, trying to get the circle all centered.




















Then, it hit me, why we need the Magnetic Movers and Shapers to die cut that circle. The card you make will be long ways as it is shown later not like this one. This card was made using the circle cutter at 1 3/4" diameter. This is what it would look like behind the card on opening.



and when you pull the ribbon in the front, the sliding door opens letting the candy out. I did not want to make it obvious from the front that you should pull on it because some people pulled on the tab from the front, letting all the candy spill out- but it doesn't matter, it's just fun.




First thing you do is stamp the sweet centers stamp image- here I used the Halloween image, stamped it in pumpkin pad and then sponged the old olive ink from the pad directly ONTO THE STAMP before stamping on paper to get that double color image.




After stamping the image, I punched out the center with 1 1/4 inch punch and save that image for accent later.
I cut the white paper big so that I could trim it to size after stamping.





Then use 1 3/4 inche circle punch to punch out a bigger circle for the opening of the sweet treat cup.





Die cut Razzleberry CS with Holiday Windows Circle Die (in the new Holiday Mini) using Movers and Shapers Die and the Big Shot.
Again I cut the Dusty Durango cardstock a little big and then trimmed to size to given 1/8 inch all around after matching with above stamped image.








Use the 1 3/8 inch circle punch to punch a smaller circle from the rich razzleberry circle from the cardbase you just die cut.







You should have these pieces.
Use sticky tape to put tape around 3 sides of the dusty durango - open on top to slide in the door and place on the cardbase matching the circle.









Slide in the door opening with ribbon or some pull tab on top as shown. This will be your door.










Stamp an image in the opening so there is something to see even if someone eats the candy.











Flip the card over with the sliding door still inside so that there is something interesting from the inside as well.












Peel the sticky off the sweet centers cups and slide on the stamped image on top. Use the cup to place the top onto the dusty durango CS as shown below.













By placing the cup and the stamped image together, I found the placement to be most accurate. When I placed the cup first, eyeballing it, and then slid the image on top, it was often "off center" for some reason.















Stamp some sentiment on the bottom using versamark. The eek on the side was made using the leftover circles from the center of the stamped image and the razzlebery base card hole. Mount using a dimensional to make it more interesting.














Here is the card inside and outside with sliding door open
















Here is close up front without the candy






















Here is same cards with sliding door closed with and without candy.
Sound complicated but not really. Make a couple and you will see.
Hope you have a nice weekend wherever you may be.
Happy Friday!
Lynda

















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome Linda....I love this idea and I really like your blog. I also wonder how you juggle all that you do...doctor, mother, SU demo...you are my hero!
Shawna